now browsing by month
Have you asked this question: Why people attempt to leave many organizations and nations, and dream to join a few organizations and countries?
You may have your own list of reasons.
One of the main reasons why people run away is not because of the people in those organizations and societies; but rather, it’s due to some values. These governing values that are behind the leadership, the culture, its institutions, and systems are the ones persecuting people and chasing them away.
If your desire is to retain your people, and even attract more, work on your values-system.
Some corporate values maybe there just to appease some stakeholders internally and externally. These kinds of values are toothless. They’re there for public consumption.
You can easily check yourself whether the values of your organization (Or business) are consequential. Answer the following simple questions:
- How often your leaders bring up the values of your organization during one-on-ones?
- Do values are part of the agenda of some of the group discussions?
- Is the organization talk about its values during some of the companywide meetings?
- When was the last time, your organization fired a leader or employee for disrespecting one or more of its values?
- When was the last time a supervisor or manager was demoted for the lack of demonstrating loyalty to his/her company?
Let me ask you. Who is leading your life? Do you think you are in charge? If your answer is a resounding yes, think about it again.
It is an illusion to think that we’re free. Man never been free. We’ve been controlled and ruled by values, which are on the driver’s seat.
What is sad? Many of us are slaves of our own values without even knowing it.